(quote by Franklin D. Roosevelt)
Ladies and Gentlemen, I have a revelation for you. Get ready for this, because it’s GROUNDBREAKING:
It’s okay to disagree with the experts.
Whoa, do you need to sit down there? Feeling a little lightheaded at the thought of disagreeing with those who possess more knowledge than yourself? But surely they’re right because, well, they’re the EXPERTS, right?
Yes and no. Maybe. Sometimes. Not always.
I know, it’s a shock. But bear with me.
There’s a guest post up at Mizfit today which is by a so-called expert, Dr Paul, who gives us the “Top ten exercise mistakes women make”. 90% of the comments are all “oh, good points, I’m guilty of #X all the time” and “You’re right”. So many people are ignoring the issues here because this is a DOCTOR and doctors are EXPERTS and therefore they’re never wrong. Let me break it down Gemfit style:
- Too much cardio apparently makes you stay fat. First of all, where’s the research here? Don’t throw “facts” at me and then not back it up. And how much is too much? For who? Generic “facts” with no actual facts? FAIL
- No weight training or not enough weight training – fair point, but why is this only women?
- Spot reduction of fat – this is a mistake WOMEN make? How? It’s not possible to spot reduce for ANYONE – male, female, cat or dog. Just not possible. It can’t be a mistake people make because it doesn’t actually happen. FAIL
- Exercise is not a priority – this should apply to anyone, not women only. Again, why is this a mistake women make?
- We eat too much and we SHOULD be grazing all the time. Ignore the fact that this again seems to be a mistake women make (what, there are no overweight men?) but let’s look at the language here. He writes as if the ONLY way to eat is to graze on small meals all day. Nothing else works for anyone apparently. There is only ONE way and it’s HIS. FAIL
- Poor nutritional support. Now apparently we’re not eating ENOUGH. Make up your mind. FAIL
- We’re all doing the same exercise everyday. Only women. Never men. They’re smart S-M-R-T you know.
- We’re not doing intense enough cardio. But wait, I thought we were doing TOO MUCH cardio? Make up your mind again there Doc.
- We’re doing too much too soon – again, only women apparently. Men never burn out.
- We’re not consulting the EXPERTS because obviously we know nothing. We’re just stupid WOMEN you know.
Now I won’t deny that some of the tips he writes about are not bad tips – balance your exercise with cardio and weights, eat enough to fuel your body, don’t go all-out initially and burn out. But the tone and attitude that these are only mistakes women make? Total fail. And the attitude that these are all facts and the only way to go about things? Again, total fail. It all depends on your goal, your body and YOU. Too much cardio for you could be enough for me since I’m trying to start running. Grazing all day may end up seeing you eat too much because you work better on 3 meals a day. They’re all TIPS not facts. And until someone gives me the facts and studies that back up his points that these are FACTS and mistakes only WOMEN make, I’ll take his TIPS with a grain of salt.